Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chak De !! India: A lesson I learnt in life

This is not the way I wanted to start an article after a long time. As I sit and eat the humble pie, my words keep haunting me.I gave the movie as much chance as Anjan Srivastava gave to the women hockey team for winning the World cup in the movie. But I try to make amends for calling this movie a “piece of shit” days before it had had its first screening. I didn’t intend to show contempt to the movie or the persons involved in its making, but I took the fact for granted that King Khan would again be reluctant to forget that he is “shshshsh….ahrukh khan”.


To be honest, it was the review of the movie which prompted me to have a sneak peek. But after watching it believe me, there’s no regret, only remorse. Don’t misunderstand my strong emotions, but its not daily that I am proven so wrong. Surprisingly, I don’t feel ashamed of accepting my complete failure as a self proclaimed “film critic”.
I am not anti-SRK but my agreement with Shahrukh begins and ends at the fact that both of us believe that his best work till date is “Kabhi haan Kabhi Naa”. Swadesh was another step ahead, but “Chak De” somehow made him come out of his brand of Shahrukh Khan. Chak de doesn’t bank on the SRK brand for getting accepted; it wanted somebody who could do justice to the role of Kabir Khan. Instead we got a bonus of Shahrukh “Kabir” Khan, and Chak de emerging victorious.


This was not the first time somebody tried to marry off Sports with Bollywood.But this particular alliance was special without inviting any comparisons. Forgotten National game, a disgraced sportsperson, Naari Shakti , Team India and an impeccable blend of jargons combined with the Regional Tadka.Do you still need to know who plays Kabir Khan in this venture?Well, as a sports freak and a movie buff, I don’t care.
This movie has all the ingredients to rake in Moolah and become the flavour of India.As goes the spirit of sports and this movie ,no individual emerges victorious ,instead the whole unit has won it.Shahrukh doesn’t try to win brownie points for himself , rather let Kabir khan take the lead. Aptly shown in the movie with respect to the 2 players vying against each other to score the highest number of goals. Another striking similarity is the way Shahrukh leads the way like a senior performer at the appropriate places, as Kabir Khan preaches in the movie to the senior players in the team.


Hats –off to the Director Shimit Amin who has effectively showcased his ability to address the various issues plaguing sports in India, be it the prejudice in favour of cricket, regional Quota-system, favouritism, heavy-handed approach of governing bodies or the increasing influence of media on decision making and creating a public-opinion.Chak De bares it all without crossing the limits of filmmaking. I am sure his experience of directing “Ab tak Chhappan”, which dealt with a much more sensitive topic, came handy in this venture. This movie has not only come as a breeze for Yash Raj Productions in a disastrous year, but should serve as an eye opener for Indian Hockey Federation and Indian Olympic Committee. This could help them answer why a billion strong nation is medal starved.


Ending on a positive note, I thank Shahrukh for realizing his own potential and in return I take a vow not to judge anybody without giving a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment